Capistrano Unified School District began offering the Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program in the fall of 2012. To qualify, students must turn five years of age between September 2nd and December 2nd of the current school year. Transitional Kindergarten is offered to students who, due to the kindergarten age rollback, miss the cutoff to enter kindergarten. This will be the first year of a two-year kindergarten program provided for in the SB 1381 legislation or the Kindergarten Readiness Act 2010. Transitional Kindergarten is only offered at select sites. At the end of the Transitional Kindergarten year, students will matriculate to their home schools for regular kindergarten. For more information, please contact Debbi Keeler, Director, Early Childhood Programs at (949) 234-5341.
2016-2017 Transitional Kindergarten
The age requirements for Transitional Kindergarten for the 2016-2017 school year includes those children who turn 5 years of age between September 2 and December 2, 2016. The registration process for TK includes the following steps:
1. Attend a TK Parent Information Night (information is listed in the column to the right)
2. Submit the 2016-2017 Intent to Register in Transitional Kindergarten form by Friday, February 19th; the form is located below.
3. By February 26, 2016, parents will be notified via email and U.S. mail regarding their child's placement in the TK program. Every effort is made to assign the student to the TK program that is nearest to their home school. Placement is determined by the following criteria:
- First priority will be given to those TK students with an older sibling who already attends their school of choice
- Second priority will be given to those TK students whose home school is their school of choice
- The remaining seats are filled by lottery system
4. The placement letter outlines the next steps to be taken in the registration process (i.e., on-line registration and forms that must be submitted to the school site, etc.).
*Intent to Register forms received after February 19, 2016 will be processed on a first-come/first-served basis once the initial placements have been completed.*
2017-2018 Transitional Kindergarten
The age requirements for Transitional Kindergarten (TK) for the 2017-2018 school year include children who turn 5 years of age between September 2 – December 2, 2017. The registration process for TK includes the following steps:
- Attend a TK Parent Information Night, from 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., at the following locations:
- Tuesday, January 10, 2017 – Wood Canyon Elementary, Aliso Viejo
- Thursday, January 19, 2017 – Ladera Ranch Elementary, Ladera Ranch
- Thursday, January 26, 2017 – Marblehead Elementary, San Clemente
- Tuesday, February 7, 2017 – CUSD Offices, San Juan Capistrano
2. Submit the 2017-2018 Intent to Register in Transitional Kindergarten form starting Monday, January 9, through Thursday, February 16, 2017, to the Early Childhood Programs office (by email to firstname.lastname@example.org). You may access the Intent to Register form below.
3. During the week of February 28, 2017, parents will be notified, via U.S. mail, regarding their child’s placement in the TK program. Placement is determined as follows:
- TK students with an older sibling who already attends their school of choice will be given first priority.
- TK students whose home school is their school of choice will be given second priority.
- The remaining available seats will be filled by lottery system.
Every effort is made to place the student at the school that is nearest to their home that is offering the TK program.
4. The placement letter that is sent home outlines the next steps to be taken in the registration process (i.e., on-line registration and forms that must be submitted to the school site). The placement letter must be submitted, along with proof of completion of the new student online registration, in order to complete registration at the assigned school.
Students whose Intent to Register in Transitional Kindergarten forms are received after February 16, 2017, will be placed in a TK class on a first-come/first served basis, based on availability; and, after the initial assignments have been completed.
5. According to CUSD Board Policy (BP 6170.1(a)): Upon request of a child’s parents/guardians, the District may admit into the TK program a child whose fifth birthday is on or before September 1 and who is therefore eligible for kindergarten. Requests may be made by parents/guardians by submitting an Intent to Register in Transitional Kindergarten form. Requests will be considered only after TK numbers are
confirmed for the coming school year. Parents/guardians will be notified when an opening occurs and placement is possible. Consideration will be given to requests provided:
- Sufficient openings exist for TK eligible students to enroll during the school year.
- The Superintendent or designee determines that it is in the child’s best interest along with assessment data that supports this decision.
- If the child has a current IEP, before enrollment is confirmed an IEP meeting will need to be held to discuss placement options and recommendations for TK.
- A child’s fifth birthday is on or after June 1; priority will be given to the child whose birthday is closest to September 1.
- The parents/guardians of a Kindergarten eligible child who is enrolled in TK must agree to sign a Kindergarten Continuance Form upon entrance to TK verifying that they agree to have the child continue in Kindergarten the following year.
Parents/guardians of children whose fifth birthday is between June 1 and September 1 may submit an Intent to Register in Transitional Kindergarten form starting on January 10, 2017. Forms will be held until April 21, 2017 after the initial TK placement has been completed for those children whose fifth birthday is between September 2 and December 2. Parents of children whose fifth birthday is closest to September 1 will be notified on April 28, 2017 to schedule an appointment to determine eligibility. Once eligibility is confirmed and assessments are reviewed, parents will receive a placement letter for the TK program. Registration must then be completed by May 19, 2017.
The District will not admit into the TK program a child whose fifth birthday is after December 2; but, recommends enrollment in the District’s Early Childhood Preschool Programs.
For more information on the Transitional Kindergarten Program and/or the registration process, please contact Mary Manos at (949) 234-5342 or email@example.com